105 Comparison (2)

Before comparatives you can use:
much, a lot, far (=a lot), a bit, a little, slightly (= a little)
* Let's go by car. It's much cheaper. (or It's a lot cheaper.)
* Don't go by train. It's a lot more expensive. (or It's much more expensive.)
* Could you speak a bit more slowly? (or ... speak a little more slowly?)
* This bag is slightly heavier than the other one.
* Her illness was far more serious than we thought at first. (or ... much more serious... or ... a lot more serious ... )


You can use any and no + comparatives (any longer/no bigger etc.):
* I've waited long enough. I'm not waiting any longer. (= not even a little longer)
* We expected their house to be very big but it's no bigger than ours. (or it isn't any bigger than ours.)
* Yesterday you said you felt ill. Do you feel any better today?
* This hotel is better than the other one and it's no more expensive.


Harder and harder/more and more/more and more difficult etc.
We repeat comparatives like this (... and ...) to say that something is changing continuously:
* It's becoming harder and harder to find a job.
* It's becoming more and more difficult to find a job.
* Your English is improving. It's getting better and better.
* These days more and more people are learning English.


The ... the better
Study these examples:
* 'What time shall we leave?' 'The sooner the better.' (= as soon as possible)
* 'What sort of box do you want? A big one?' 'Yes, the bigger the better.' (= as big as possible)
* When you're travelling, the less luggage you have to carry the better. (= it is best to have as little luggage as possible)


We also use the ... the ... (with two comparatives) to say that one thing depends on another thing:
* The warmer the weather, the better I feel. (= if the weather is warmer, I feel better)
* The sooner we leave, the sooner we will arrive.
* The younger you are, the easier it is to learn.
* The more expensive the hotel, the better the service.
* The more electricity you use, the higher your bill will be.
* The more I thought about the plan, the less I liked it.


Older and elder
The comparative of old is older:
* Tom looks older than he really is.


You can use elder (or older) when you talk about people in a family. You can say (my) elder
brother/sister/son/daughter:
* My elder brother is a pilot. (or My older brother ...)


We say 'my elder brother' but we do not say that 'somebody is elder ...':
* My brother is older than me. (not 'elder than me')

EXERCISES
105.1 Use the words in brackets to complete the sentences. Use much/a bit etc. + a comparative form. Use than where necessary.
1. Her illness was _much more serious than_ we thought at first. (much/serious)
2. This bag is too small. I need something ---. (much/big)
3. I'm afraid the problem is --- it seems. (much/complicated)
4. You looked depressed this morning but you look ---now. (a bit/happy)
5. I enjoyed our visit to the museum. It was --- I expected. (far/Interesting)
6. You're driving too fast. Could you drive ---? ( a bit/slowly)
7. It's --- to learn a foreign language in the country where it is spoken. (a lot/easy)
8. I thought she was younger than me but in fact she's --- (slightly/old)


105.2 Complete the sentences using any/no + a comparative. Use than where necessary.
1. I'm fed up with waiting. I'm not waiting _any longer._
2. I'm sorry I'm a bit late but I couldn't get here ---.
3. This shop isn't expensive. The prices are --- anywhere else.
4. I must stop for a rest. I can't walk ---.
5. The traffic isn't particularly bad today. It's --- usual.


105.3 Complete the sentences using the structure in Section C (... and ...)
1. It's becoming _harder and harder_ to find a job. (hard)
2. That hole in your pullover is getting ---. (big)
3. My bags seemed to get --- as I carried them. (heavy)
4. As I waited for my interview, I became ---. (nervous)
5. As the day went on, the weather got ---. (bad)
6. Travelling is becoming ---. (expensive)
7. Since she has been in Britain, her English has got ---. (good)
8. As the conversation went on, he became ---. (talkative)


105.4 These sentences are like those in Section D. Use the word(s) in brackets (in the correct form) to complete the sentences.
1. I like warm weather. The warmer the weather, _the better I feel._ (feel)
2. I didn't really like him when we first met.
But the more I got to know him, ---. (like)
3 If you're in business, you want to make a profit.
The more goods you sell, ---. (profit)
4 It's hard to concentrate when you're tired.
The more tired you are, ---. (hard)
5. She had to wait a very long time.
The longer she waited, ---. (impatient/become)


105.5 Which is correct, older or elder? Or both of them?
1. My _older/elder_ brother is a pilot. (older and elder are both correct)
2. I'm surprised Diane is only 25. I thought she was _older/elder._
3. Ann's younger sister is still at school. Her _older/elder_ sister is a nurse.
4 Martin is _older/elder_ than his brother.

105.1

2 much bigger

3 much more complicated than

4 a bit happier

5 far more interesting than

6 a bit more slowly

7 a lot easier

8 slightly older

105.2

2 any earlier

3 no more expensive than

4 any further

5 no worse than

105.3

2 bigger and bigger

3 heavier and heavier

4 more and more nervous

5 worse and worse

6 more and more expensive

7 better and better

8 more and more talkative

105.4

2 the more I liked him or the more I got to like him

3 the more your profit (will be) or the higher your profit (will be) or the more profit you will make

4 the harder it is to concentrate

5 the more impatient she became

105.5

2 older

3 older or elder

4 older