121 On time/in time At the end in the end

On time and in time


On time = punctual, not late. If something happens on time, it happens at the time which was planned:


* The 11.45 train left on time. (=it left at 11.45)


* 'I'll meet you at 7.30.' 'OK, but please be on time.' (= don't be late, be there at 7.30)

* The conference was very well organised. Everything began and finished on time.


The opposite of on time is late:
* Be on time. Don't be late.]


In time (for something/to do something) = soon enough
* Will you be home in time for dinner? (= soon enough for dinner)


* I've sent Jill her birthday present. I hope it arrives in time (for her birthday). (= soon enough for her birthday)


* I must hurry. I want to get home in time to see the football match on television.
(= soon enough to see the football match)


The opposite of in time is too late:
* I got home too late to see the football match.


You can say just in time (=almost too late):
* We got to the station just in time to catch the train.
* A child ran across the road in front of the car, but I managed to stop just in time.


At the end and in the end
At the end (of something) =at the time when something ends. For example:
at the end of the month, at the end of January, at the end of the match, at the end of the film, at the end of the course, at the end of the concert


* I'm going away at the end of January/at the end of the month.


* At the end of the concert, there was great applause.


* All the players shook hands at the end of the match. You cannot say 'in the end of something'. So you cannot say 'in the end of January' or 'in the end of the concert'.


The opposite of at the end is at the beginning:
at the beginning of January, at the beginning of the concert


In the end = finally


We use in the end when we say what the final result of a situation was:
* We had a lot of problems with our car. In the end we sold it and bought another one. (= finally we sold it)
* He got more and more angry. In the end he just walked out of the room.
* Jim couldn't decide where to go for his holidays. He didn't go anywhere in the end.

The opposite of in the end is usually at first:
* At first we didn't like each other very much, but in the end we became good friends.



EXERCISES
121.1 Complete the sentences with on time or in time.
1. The bus was late this morning but it's usually _on time._
2. The film was supposed to start at 8.30 but it didn't begin ---.
3. I like to get up --- to have a big breakfast before going to work.
4. We want to start the meeting --- so please don't be late.
5. I've just washed this shirt. I want to wear it this evening, so I hope it will be dry ---.
6. The train service isn't very good. The trains are rarely ---.
7. I nearly missed my flight this morning. I got to the airport just ---.
8. I nearly forgot that it was Joe's birthday. Fortunately I remembered ---.
9. Why are you never ---? You always keep everybody waiting.


121.2 Read the situations and make sentences using just in time.
1. A child ran across the road in front of your car. You saw the child at the last moment. (manage/stop) _I managed to stop just in time._
2. You were walking home without an umbrella. just after you got home, it started to rain very heavily. (get/home) ---.
3. Tim was going to sit on the chair you had just painted. You said, 'Don't sit in that chair!', so he didn't. (stop/him) I ---.
4. You went to the cinema. You were a bit late and you thought you would miss the beginning of the film. But the film began just as you sat down in the cinema. (get/cinema/beginning of the film) ---.


121.3 Complete the sentences using at the end + one of the following:
the course the interview the match the month the race
1. All the players shook hands _at the end of the match._
2. I normally get paid ---.
3. The students had a party ---.
4. Two of the runners collapsed ---.
5. To my surprise I was offered the job ---.
121.4 Write sentences with In the end. Use the verb in brackets.
1. We had a lot of problems with our car. (sell) _in the end we sold it._
2. Judy got more and more fed up with her job. (resign) ---.
3. I tried to learn German but I found it too difficult. (give up) ---.
4. We couldn't decide whether to go to the party or not. (not/go) ---.


121.5 Put in at or in.
1. I'm going away _at_ the end of the month.
2. It took me a long time to find a job --- the end I got a job in a hotel.
3. Are you going away --- the beginning of August or --- the end?
4. I couldn't decide what to buy Mary for her birthday. I didn't buy her anything --- the end.
5. We waited ages for a taxi. We gave up --- the end and walked home.
6. I'll be moving to a new address --- the end of September.
7. At first Helen didn't want to go to the theatre but she came with us --- the end.
8. I'm going away --- the end of this week.
9. '1 didn't know what to do.' 'Yes, you were in a difficult position. What did you do --- the end?'

121.1

2 on time

3 in time

4 on time

5 in time

6 on time

7 in time

8 in time

9 on time

121.2

2 I/we got home just in time.

3 I/stopped him just in time.

4 I/we got to the cinema just in time for the beginning of the film.

121.3

2 at the end of the month

3 at the end of the course

4 at the end of the race

5 at the end of the interview

121.4

2 In the end she resigned.

3 In the end I gave up.

4 In the end we decided not to go. or ... we didn't go.

121.5

2 In 3 at ... at

4 in 5 in 6 at

7 in 8 at 9 in