129 Adjective + preposition (1)

It was nice of you to ...
nice/kind/good/generous/polite/silly/stupid etc. OF somebody (to do something):
* Thank you. It was very nice/kind of you to help me.
* It is stupid of her to go out without a coat in such cold weather.


but (be) nice/kind/good/generous/polite/friendly/cruel etc. TO somebody:
* They have always been very nice/kind to me. (not 'with me')
* Why were you so unfriendly to Tessa?


Adjective + about/with
angry/annoyed/furious ABOUT something
angry/annoyed/furious WITH somebody FOR doing something
* It's stupid to get angry about things that don't matter.
* Are you annoyed with me for being late?


excited/worried/upset/nervous/happy etc. ABOUT something:
* Are you excited about going on holiday next week?
* Carol is upset about not being invited to the party.


delighted/pleased/satisfied/disappointed WITH something:
* I was delighted with the present you gave me.
* Were you disappointed with your exam results?]


Adjective + at/by/with
surprised/shocked/amazed/astonished AT/BY something:
* Everybody was surprised at (or by) the news.
* I hope you weren't shocked by (or at) what I said.


impressed WITH/BY somebody/something:
* I'm very impressed with (or by) her English. It's very good.


fed up/bored WITH something:
* I don't enjoy my job any more. I'm fed up with it./I'm bored with it.]


sorry about/for
sorry ABOUT something:
* I'm sorry about the noise last night. We were having a party.


but usually sorry FOR doing something:
* I'm sorry for shouting at you yesterday.


You can also say 'I'm sorry I (did something)':
* I'm sorry I shouted at you yesterday.


We say 'to feel/to be sorry FOR somebody':
* I feel sorry for George. He has a lot of problems.]



EXERCISES
129.1 Write sentences using nice of ..., kind of ... etc.
1. I went out in the cold without a coat.
2. Sue offered to drive me to the airport.
3. I needed money and Ian gave me some.
4. They didn't invite us to their party.
5. Can I help you with your luggage?
6. Kevin didn't thank me for the present.
7. They've had an argument and now they refuse to speak to each other.]
(silly) _That was silly of you._
(nice) That was --- her.
(generous) That ---.
(not very nice) That wasn't ---.
(very kind) --- you.
(not very polite) ---.
(a bit childish) ---.


129.2 Complete the sentences using one of the following adjectives + the correct preposition:
annoyed annoyed astonished bored excited impressed kind sorry
1. We're all _excited about_ going on holiday next week.
2. Thank you for all your help. You've been very --- me.
3. I wouldn't like to be in her position. I feel --- her.
4. What have I done wrong? Why are you --- me?
5. Why do you always get so --- little things?
6. I wasn't very --- the service in the restaurant. We had to wait ages before our food arrived.
7. John isn't happy at college. He says he's --- the course he's doing.
8. I had never seen so many people before. I was --- the crowds.


129.3 Put in the correct preposition.
1. I was delighted _with_ the present you gave me.
2. It was very nice --- you to do my shopping for me. Thank you very much.
3. Why are you always so rude --- your parents? Can't you be nice them?
4. It was a bit careless --- you to leave the door unlocked when you went out.
5. They didn't reply to our letter, which wasn't very polite --- them.
6. We always have the same food every day. I'm fed up --- it.
7. I can't understand people who are cruel --- animals.
8. We enjoyed our holiday, but we were a bit disappointed --- the hotel.
9. I was surprised --- the way he behaved. It was completely out of character.
10. I've been trying to learn Spanish but I'm not very satisfied --- my progress.
11. Linda doesn't look very well. I'm worried --- her.
12. Are you angry --- what happened?
13. I'm sorry --- what I said. I hope you're not angry --- me.
14. The people next door are furious --- us making so much noise last night.
15. Jill starts her new job next week. She's quite excited --- it.
16. I'm sorry --- the smell of paint in this room. I've just decorated it.
17. I was shocked --- what I saw. I'd never seen anything like it before.
18. The man we interviewed for the job was intelligent but we weren't very impressed --- his appearance.
19. Are you still upset --- what I said to you yesterday?
20. He said he was sorry --- the situation but there was nothing he could do.
21. I felt sorry --- the children when we went on holiday. It rained every day and they had to spend most of the time indoors.

129.1

2 That was nice of her.

3 That was generous of him.

4 That wasn't very nice of them.

5 That's very kind of you.

6 That wasn't very polite of him.

7 That's bit childish of them.

129.2

2 kind to

3 sorry for

4 annoyed with

5 annoyed about

6 impressed with/impressed by

7 bored with (or bored by)

8 astonished at/astonished by

129.3

2 of 3 to ... to

4 of 5 of

6 with 7 to

8 with 9 at/by

10 with 11 about

12 about

13 sorry about or sorry for ... angry with

14 furious with us for making

15 about 16 about

17 at/by 18 with/by

19 about 20 about 21 for