17 Have and have got

Have and have got (= possess, own etc.). We often use have got rather than have alone. So you can say:
* We've got a new car. or We have a new car.
* Ann has got two sisters. or Ann has two sisters.


We use have got or have for illnesses, pains etc.:
* I've got a headache. or I have a headache.


In questions and negative sentences there are three possible forms:
Have you got any money? I haven't got any money.
Do you have any money? I don't have any money.
Have you any money? (less usual) I haven't any money. (less usual)
Has she got a car? She hasn't got a car.
Does she have a car? She doesn't have a car.
Has she a car? (less usual) She hasn't a car. (less usual)


When have means 'possess' etc., you cannot use continuous forms (is having/are having etc.):
* I have/I've got a headache. (not 'I'm having')


For the past we use had (usually without 'got'):
* Ann had long fair hair when she was a child. (not 'Ann had got')


In past questions and negative sentences we normally use did/didn't:
* Did they have a car when they were living in London?
* I didn't have a watch, so I didn't know the time.
* Ann had long fair hair, didn't she?
Have breakfast/have a bath/have a good time etc.


Have (but not 'have got') is also used for many actions and experiences. For example:
have breakfast/dinner/a cup of coffee/a cigarette etc.
have a bath/a shower/a swim/a rest/a party/a holiday/a nice time etc.
have an accident/an experience/a dream etc.
have a look (at something)/a chat (with somebody)
have a baby (= give birth to a baby)
have difficulty/trouble/fun
* Goodbye! I hope you have a nice time.
* Mary had a baby recently.


'Have got' is not possible in these expressions. Compare:
* I usually have a sandwich for my lunch. (have = 'eat' - not 'have got')
but * I've got some sandwiches. Would you like one? In these expressions, have is like other verbs. You can use continuous forms (is having are having etc.) where suitable:
* I had a postcard from Fred this morning. He's on holiday. He says he's having a
wonderful time. (not 'he has a wonderful time')
* The phone rang while we were having dinner. (not 'while we had')
In questions and negative sentences we normally use do/does/did:
* I don't usually have a big breakfast. (not 'I usually haven't')
* What time does Ann have lunch? (not 'has Ann lunch')
* Did you have any difficulty finding somewhere to live?



EXERCISES
17.1 Write negative sentences with have. Some are present (can't) and some are past (couldn't).
1. I can't make a phone call. (any change)
I haven't got any change.
2. I couldn't read the notice. (my glasses)
I didn't have my glasses.
3. I can't climb up onto the roof. (a ladder)
I ---
4. We couldn't visit the museum. (enough time)
We ---
5. He couldn't find his way to our house. (a map)
6. She can't pay her bills. (any money)
7. They can't get into the house. (a key)
8. I couldn't take any photographs. (a camera)


17.2 Complete these questions with have. Some are present and some are past.
1. Excuse me, have you got a pen I could borrow?
2. Why are you holding your face like that? --- a toothache?
3. --- a bicycle when you were a child?
4. '--- the time, please?' 'Yes, it's ten past seven.'
5. When you did the exam, --- time to answer all the questions?
6. I need a stamp for this letter. --- one?
7. 'It started to rain while I was walking home.' 'Did it? --- an umbrella?'


17.3 In this exercise you have to write sentences about yourself. Choose four of the following things (or you canchoose something else):
a car a bicycle a moped a guitar a computer a camera a driving license a job a dog/a cat (or another animal)
Have you got these things now? Did you have them ten years ago? Write two sentences each time using I've got/I haven't got and I had/I didn't have. now ten years ago (or five if you're too young)
1. I've got a car. I didn't have a car.
2. --- ---
3. --- ---
4. --- ---


17.4 Complete these sentences. Use an expression from the list and put the verb into the correct form where necessary.
have lunch have a swim have a nice time have a chat have a cigarette have a rest have a good flight have a baby have a shower have a party have a look
1. I don't eat much during the day. I never _have lunch._
2. David likes to keep fit, so he --- every day.
3. We --- last Saturday. It was great - we invited lots of people.
4. Excuse me, can I --- at your newspaper, please?
5. 'Where's Jim?' 'He --- in his room. He's very tired.'
6. I met Ann in the supermarket yesterday. We stopped and ---.
7. I haven't seen you since you came back from holiday ---?
8. Suzanne --- a few weeks ago. It's her second child.
9. I don't usually smoke but I was feeling very nervous, so I ---.
10. The phone rang but I couldn't answer it because I ---.
11. You meet Tom at the airport. He has just arrived. You say:
Hello, Tom. ---?

17.1

3 I haven't got a ladder./I don't have a ladder.

4 We didn't have enough time.

5 He didn't have a map.

6 She hasn't got any money./She doesn't have any money.

7 They haven't got a key./They don't have a key.

8 I didn't have a camera.

17.2

2 Have you got/Do you have

3 Did you have

4 Have you got/Do you have

5 did you have

6 Have you got/Do you have

7 Did you have

17.3 Example answers:

2 I've got a bicycle (now). I didn't have a bicycle (ten years ago).

3 I haven't got a guitar (now). I had a guitar (ten years ago).

4 I've got a dog (now). I had a dog (ten years ago).

17.4

2 has a swim

3 had a party

4 have a look

5 is having a rest/'s having a rest

6 had a chat

7 Did you have a nice time

8 had a baby

9 had a cigarette

10 was having a shower

11 Did you have a good flight