50 Auxiliary verbs (have/do/can etc.) I think so I hope so etc.

There are two verbs in each of these sentences:
I have lost my keys.
She can't come to the party.
The hotel was built ten years ago.
Where do you live?
In these examples have/can't/was/do are auxiliary (= helping) verbs.


You can use an auxiliary verb (without the rest of the sentence) when you don't want to repeat something:
* 'Have you locked the door?' 'Yes, I have.' (= I have locked the door)
* George wasn't working but Janet was. (= Janet was working)
* She could lend me the money but she won't. (= she won't lend me the money)
* 'Are you angry with me?' 'Of course I'm not.' (= I'm not angry)


Use do/does/did for the present and past simple:
* 'Do you like onions?' 'Yes, I do. (= I like onions)
* 'Does Mark smoke?' 'He did but he doesn't any more.'


We use have you?/isn't she?/do they? etc. to show polite interest in what somebody has said:
* 'I've just met Simon.' 'Oh, have you? How is he?'
* 'Liz isn't very well today.' 'Oh,98 isn't she? What's wrong with her?'
* 'It rained every day during our holiday.' 'Did it? What a pity!'


Sometimes we use these 'short questions' to show surprise:
* 'Jim and Nora are getting married.' 'Are they? Really?'


We use auxiliary verbs with so and neither:
* 'I'm feeling tired.' 'So am L' (= I'm feeling tired too)
* 'I never read newspapers.' 'Neither do L' (= I never read newspapers either)
* Sue hasn't got a car and neither has Martin.


Note the word order after so and neither (verb before subject):
* I passed the exam and so did Tom. (not 'so Tom did')


You can use nor instead of neither:
* 'I can't remember his name.' 'Nor can L' or 'Neither can I'


You can also use '...not ... either':
* 'I haven't got any money.' 'Neither have I' or 'Nor have I' or 'I haven't either.'
I think so/I hope so etc.


After some verbs you can use so when you don't want to repeat something:
* 'Are those people English?' J think so.' (= I think they are English)
* 'Will you be at home tomorrow morning?' 'I expect so.' (= I expect I'll be at home..)
* 'Do you think Kate has been invited to the party?' 'I suppose so.'
You can also say I hope so, I guess so and I'm afraid so.


The usual negative forms are:
I think so/I expect so -> I don't think so/I don't expect so
I hope so/I'm afraid so/I guess so -> I hope not/I'm afraid not/I guess not
I suppose so/I don't suppose so or I suppose not
* 'Is that woman American?' 'I think so./I don't think so.'
* 'Do you think it's going to rain?' J hope so./I hope not.' (not 'I don't hope so')



EXERCISES
50.1 Complete the sentences with an auxiliary verb (do/was/could/should etc.). Sometimes the verb must be negative (don't/wasn't etc.).
1. I wasn't tired but my friends _were._
2. I like hot weather but Ann ---
3. 'Is Colin here?' 'He --- five minutes ago but I think he's gone home now.'
4. She might phone later this evening but I don't think she ---.
5. 'Are you and Chris coming to the party?' 'I --- but Chris ---.'
6. I don't know whether to apply for the job or not. Do you think I ---?
7. 'Please don't tell anybody what I said.' 'Don't worry. I ---.'
8. 'You never listen to me.' 'Yes, I ---!'
9. 'Can you play a musical instrument?' 'No, but I wish I ---.'
10. 'Please help me.' 'I'm sorry. I --- if I --- but I ---.'


50.2 You never agree with Sue. Answer in the way shown.
1. I'm hungry. _Are you? I'm not._
2. I'm not tired. _Aren't you? I am._
3. I like football. ---
4. I didn't enjoy the film. ---
5. I've never been to South America. ---
6. I thought the exam was quite easy. ---


50.3 You are talking to Tina. Write true sentences about Yourself. Reply with So ... or Neither... if suitable. Study the two examples carefully.
1. I feel really tired. _So do I_
2. I'm working hard. _Are you? I'm not._
3. I watched television last week. ---
4. I won't be in London next week. ---
5. I live in a small town. ---
6. I'd like to go to the moon. ---
7. I can't play the trumpet. ---


50.4 In these conversations, you are B. Read the information in brackets and then answer with I think so, I hope not etc.
1. (You don't like rain.)
A: Is it going to rain?
B: (hope) _I hope not._
2. (You need more money quickly.)
A: Do you think you'll get a pay rise soon?
B: (hope) ---
3. (You think Diane will probably get the job that she applied for.)
A: I wonder if Diane will get the job.
B: (expect) ---
4. (You're not sure whether Jill is married--probably not.)
A: Is Jill married?
B: (think) ---
5. (You are the receptionist at a hotel. The hotel is full.)
A: Have you got a room for tonight?
B: (afraid) ---
6. (You're at a party. You have to leave early.)
A: Do you have to leave already?
B: (afraid) ---
7. (Ann normally works every day, Monday to Friday. Tomorrow is Wednesday.)
A: Is Ann working tomorrow?
B: (suppose) ---
8. (You are going to a party. You can't stand John.)
A: Do you think John will be at the party?
B: (hope) ---
9. (You're not sure what time the concert is--probably 7.30.)
A: Is the concert at 7.30?
B: (think) ---




50.1

2 doesn't 3 was 4 will

5 am ... isn't

6 should 7 won't

8 do 9 could

10 would ... could ... can't

50.2

3 Do you? I don't.

4 Didn't you? I did.

5 Haven't you? I have.

6 Did you? I didn't.

50.3 Example answers:

3 So did I or Did you? I didn't.

4 Neither will I or Won't you? Why not?

5 So do I or Do you? I live in a village.

6 So would I or Would you? I wouldn't.

7 Neither can I or Can't you? I can.

50.4

2 I hope so.

3 I expect so.

4 I don't think so.

5 I'm afraid not.

6 I'm afraid so.

7 I suppose so.

8 I hope not.

9 I think so.