56 Verb + ~ing or to ... (2) (try/need/help)

Try to ... and try ~ing
Try to do = attempt to do, make an effort to do:
* I was very tired. I tried to keep my eyes open but I couldn't.
* Please try to be quiet when you come home. Everyone will be asleep.


Try also means 'do something as an experiment or test'. For example:
* These cakes are delicious. You must try one. (= you must have one to see if you like it)
* We couldn't find anywhere to stay. We tried every hotel in the town but they were all full. (= we went to every hotel to see if they had a room)


If try (with this meaning) is followed by a verb, we say try ~ing:
* A: The photocopier doesn't seem to be working.
B: Try pressing the green button. (= press the green button - perhaps this will help to solve the problem)
Compare:
* I tried to move the table but it was too heavy. (so I couldn't move it)
* I didn't like the way the furniture was arranged, so I tried moving the table to the other side of the room. But it still didn't look right, so I moved it back again.


Need to ... and need ~ing
I need to do something = it is necessary for me to do it:
* I need to take more exercise.
* He needs to work harder if he wants to make progress.
* I don't need to come to the meeting, do I?


Something needs doing = something needs to be done:
* The batteries in the radio need changing. (= they need to be changed)
* Do you think my jacket needs cleaning? (= ... needs to be cleaned)
* It's a difficult problem. It needs thinking about very carefully. (= it needs to be thought about)


Help and can't help
You can say 'help to do' or 'help do' (infinitive with or without to):
* Everybody helped to clean up after the party. or Everybody helped clean up ...
* Can you help me to move this table? or Can you help me move ...
There is also an expression 'can't/couldn't help doing something'. 'I can't help doing something' = I can't stop myself from doing it:
* I don't like him but he has a lot of problems. I can't help feeling sorry for him.
* She tried to be serious but she couldn't help laughing. (= she couldn't stop herself from laughing)
* I'm sorry I'm so nervous. I can't help it. (= I can't help being nervous)



EXERCISES
56.1 Make helpful suggestions. Each time write a sentence using try + one of the following
suggestions: phone him at work move the aerial change the batteries turn it the other way take an aspirin
1. The radio isn't working. I wonder what's wrong with it.
Have you tried changing the batteries?
2. I can't open the door. The key won't turn.
Try ---
3. The TV picture isn't very good. What can I do about it?
Have you ---
4. I can't contact Fred. He's not at home. What shall I do?
Why don't you ---
5. I've got a terrible headache. I wish it would go.
Have you ---
56.2 For each picture write a sentence with need(s) + one of the following verbs:
clean cut empty redecorate tighten
1. Her jacket is dirty. It needs cleaning.
2. The grass is very long. It ---
3. The room isn't very nice ---
4. The screws arc loose ---
5. The bin is full ---


56.3 Put the verb into the correct form, ~ing or to... .
1. a. I was very tired. I tried to keep (keep) my eyes open but I couldn't.
b. I rang the doorbell but there was no answer. Then I tried --- (knock) on the door, but there was still no answer.
c. We tried --- (put) the fire out but we were unsuccessful. We had to call the fire brigade.
d. Sue needed to borrow some money. She tried --- (ask) Gerry but he was short of money too.
e. I tried --- (reach) the shelf but I wasn't tall enough.
f. Please leave me alone. I'm trying --- (concentrate).
2. a. I need a change. I need --- (go) away for a while.
b. She isn't able to look after herself. She needs --- (look) after.
c. The windows are dirty. They need --- (clean).
d. Why are you leaving now? You don't need --- (go) yet, do you?
e. You don't need --- (iron) that shirt. It doesn't need --- (iron).
3. a. They were talking very loudly. I couldn't help --- (overhear) them.
b. Can you help me --- (get) the dinner ready?
c. He looks so funny. Whenever I see him, I can't help --- (smile).
d. The fine weather helped --- (make) it a very enjoyable holiday.

56.1

2 Try turning it the other way.

3 Have you tried moving the aerial?

4 Why don't you try phoning him at work?

5 Have you tried taking an aspirin?

56.2

2 It needs cutting.

3 It needs redecorating.

4 They need tightening.

5 It needs emptying.

56.3

1 b. knocking c. to put

d. asking e. to reach

f. to concentrate

2 a. to go b. looking

c. cleaning d. to go

e. You don't need to iron ... It doesn't need ironing

3 a. overhearing b. get or to get

c. smiling

d. make or to make