58 Prefer and would rather

Prefer to do and prefer doing
You can use 'prefer to (do)' or 'prefer ~ing' to say what you prefer in general:
* I don't like cities. I prefer to live in the country. or I prefer living in the country.


Study the differences in structure after prefer. We say:
I prefer something to something else.
I prefer doing something to doing something else.
but I prefer to do something rather than (do) something else.
* I prefer this coat to the coat you were wearing yesterday.
* I prefer driving to travelling by train.
but * I prefer to drive rather than travel by train.
* Ann prefers to live in the country rather than (live) in a city.


Would prefer (I'd prefer...)
We use 'would prefer' to say what somebody wants in a particular situation (not in general):
* 'Would you prefer tea or coffee?' 'Coffee, please.'


We say 'would prefer to do' (not 'doing'):
* 'Shall we go by train?' 'Well, I'd prefer to go by car.' (not 'I'd prefer going')
* I'd prefer to stay at home tonight rather than go to the cinema.


Would rather (I'd rather...)
Would rather (do) = would prefer (to do). After would rather we use the infinitive without to.
Compare:
* 'Shall we go by train?' 'I'd prefer to go by car.'
* 'Shall we go by train?' 'I'd rather go by car.' (not 'to go')
* 'Would you rather have tea or coffee?' 'Coffee, please.'


The negative is 'I'd rather not (do something)':
* I'm tired. I'd rather not go out this evening, if you don't mind.
* 'Do you want to go out this evening?' 'I'd rather not.'


Study the structure after would rather:
I'd rather do something than (do) something else.
* I'd rather stay at home tonight than go to the cinema.


I'd rather you did something
When you want somebody to do something, you can say 'I'd rather you did something':
* 'Shall I stay here?' 'I'd rather you came with us.'
* 'Shall I tell them the news?' 'No. I'd rather they didn't know.'
* Shall I tell them or would you rather they didn't know?


In this structure we use the past (came, did etc.), but the meaning is present or future, not past.
Compare:
* I'd rather cook the dinner now.
but * I'd rather you cooked the dinner now. (not 'I'd rather you cook')
The negative is 'I'd rather you didn't ...':
* I'd rather you didn't tell anyone what I said.
* 'Do you mind if I smoke?' 'I'd rather you didn't.'



EXERCISES
58.1 Which do you prefer? Write sentences using 'I prefer (something) to (something else)'. Put the verb into the correct form where necessary.
1. (drive/travel by train) _I prefer driving to travelling by train._
2. (tennis/football) I prefer ---
3. (phone people/write letters) I --- to ---
4. (go to the cinema/watch films on TV) ---


Now rewrite sentences 3 and 4 using the structure 'I prefer (to do something)...'.
5. (1) I prefer to drive rather travel by train.
6. (3) I prefer to ---
7. (4) ---


58.2 Write sentences using I'd prefer ... or I'd rather... + one of the following:
eat at home get a taxi go alone go for a swim listen to some music stand think a out it for a while wait a few minutes wait till later
1. Shall we walk home? (prefer) _I'd prefer to get a taxi._
2. Do you want to eat now? (rather) _I'd rather wait till later._
3. Shall we watch TV? (prefer) ---
4. What about a game of tennis? (rather) ---
5. Shall we leave now? (rather) ---
6. Do you want to go to a restaurant? (prefer) ---
7. I think we should decide now? (rather) ---
8. Would you like to sit down? (rather) ---
9. Do you want me to come with you? (prefer) ---


Now write sentences using than and rather than.
10. (get a taxi/walk home) I'd prefer _to get a taxi rather than walk home._
11. (go for a swim/play tennis)
I'd rather ---
12. (wait a few minutes/leave now)
I'd rather ---
13. (eat at home/go to a restaurant)
I'd prefer ---
14. (think about it for a while/decide now)
I'd rather ---


58.3 Complete the sentences using would you rather I ...
1. Are you going to cook the dinner or would you rather I cooked it?
2. Are you going to tell Ann what happened or would you rather ---?
3. Are you going to do the shopping or ---?
4. Are you going to answer the phone or ---?


58.4 Use your own ideas to complete these sentences.
1. Shall I tell Ann the news?' 'No, I'd rather she didn't know.'
2. Do you want me to go now or would you rather I --- here?
3. Do you want to go out this evening or would you rather --- at home?
4. This is a private letter addressed to me. I'd rather you --- read it.
5. It's quite a nice house but I'd rather it --- a bit bigger.
6. Do you mind if I turn on the radio?' 'I'd rather you --- I'm trying to study.'

58.1

2 I prefer tennis to football. or ... football to tennis.

3 I prefer phoning people to writing letters. or ... writing letters to phoning people.

4 I prefer going to the cinema to watching films on TV. or ... watching films on TV to going to the cinema.

6 I prefer to phone people rather than write letters. or ... to write letters rather than phone people.

7 I prefer to go to the cinema rather than watch films on TV. or ... to watch films on TV rather than go to the cinema.

58.2

3 I'd prefer to listen to some music.

4 I'd rather go for a swim.

5 I'd rather wait a few minutes.

6 I'd prefer to eat at home.

7 I'd rather think about it for a while.

8 I'd rather stand.

9 I'd prefer to go alone.

11 I'd rather go for a swim than play tennis.

12 I'd rather wait a few minutes than leave now.

13 I'd prefer to eat at home rather than go to a restaurant.

14 I'd rather think about it for a while than decide now.

58.3

2 I told her

3 would you rather I did it

4 would you rather I answered it

58.4

2 stayed 3 stay

4 didn't 5 was 6 didn't