84 Some and any

In general we use some (also somebody/someone/something) in positive sentences and any (also anybody etc.) in negative sentences:
1 some
* We bought some flowers.
* He's busy. He's got some work to do.
* There's somebody at the door.
* I'm hungry. I want something to eat.

2 any
* We didn't buy any flowers.
* He's lazy. He never does any work.
* There isn't anybody at the door.
* I'm not hungry. I don't want anything to eat.


We use any in the following sentences because the meaning is negative:
* She went out without any money. (She didn't take any money with her.)
* He refused to eat anything. (He didn't eat anything.)
* Hardly anybody passed the examination. (= almost nobody passed)


In most questions we use any:
* 'Have you got any luggage?' 'No, I haven't.'
* 'Has anybody seen my bag?' 'Yes, it's under the table.'


But we use some in questions when we expect the answer 'yes':
* What's wrong? Have you got something in your eye? (It seems that you have got
something in your eye and I expect you to answer 'yes'.)


We use some in questions when we offer or ask for things:
* Would you like something to eat?
* Can I have some sugar, please?


We often use any after if:
* If there are any letters for me, can you send them on to this address?
* If anyone has any questions, I'll be pleased to answer them.
* Let me know if you need anything.


The following sentences have the idea of if:
* I'm sorry for any trouble I've caused. (= if I have caused any trouble)
* Anyone who wants to do the exam must give me their names today. (= if there is anyone)


We also use any with the meaning 'it doesn't matter which':
* You can catch any bus. They all go to the centre. (= it doesn't matter which bus you catch)
* 'Sing a song.' 'Which song shall I sing?' 'Any song. I don't mind.' (= it doesn't matter which song)
* Come and see me any time you want.
* 'Let's go out somewhere.' 'Where shall we go?' 'Anywhere. I don't mind.'
* We left the door unlocked. Anybody could have come in.


Compare something and anything:
* A: I'm hungry. I want something to eat.
B: What would you like?
A: I don't mind. Anything. (= something, but it doesn't matter what)


Somebody/someone/anybody/anyone are singular words:
* Someone is here to see you.


But we often use they/them/their after these words:
* Someone has forgotten their umbrella. (= his or her umbrella)
* If anybody wants to leave early, they can. (= he or she can)



EXERCISES
84.1 Complete the sentences with some or any.
1. We didn't buy _any_ flowers.
2. This evening I'm going out with --- friends of mine.
3. 'Have you seen --- good films recently?' 'No, I haven't been to the cinema for ages.'
4. I didn't have --- money, so I had to borrow ---.
5. Can I have --- milk in my coffee, please?
6. I was too tired to do --- work.
7. You can cash these traveller's cheques at --- bank.
8. Can you give me --- information about places of interest in the town?
9. With the special tourist train ticket, you can travel on --- train you like.
10. If there are --- words you don't understand, use a dictionary.


84.2 Complete the sentences with some- or any- + -body/-thing/-where.
1. I was too surprised to say _anything._
2. There's --- at the door. Can you go and see who it is?
3. Does --- mind if I open the window?
4. I wasn't feeling hungry, so I didn't eat ---.
5. You must be hungry. Would you like --- to eat?
6. Quick, let's go! There's --- coming and I don't want --- to see us.
7. Sally was upset about --- and refused to talk to ---.
8. This machine is very easy to use --- can learn to use it in a very short time.
9. There was hardly --- on the beach. It was almost deserted.
10. 'Do you live --- near Jim?' 'No, he lives in another part of town.'
11. We slept in a park because we didn't have --- to stay.
12. 'Where shall we go on holiday?' 'Let's go --- warm and sunny.'
13. They stay at home all the time. They never seem to go ---.
14. I'm going out now. If --- phones while I'm out, can you tell them I'll be back at 11.30?
15. Why are you looking under the bed? Have you lost ---?
16. --- who saw the accident should contact the police.
17. Sue is very secretive. She never tells --- (2 words)


84.3 Complete the sentences. Use any (+ noun) or anybody/anything/anywhere.
1. Which bus do I have to catch? Any bus. They all go to the centre.
2. Which day shall I come? I don't mind. ---.
3. What do you want to eat? ---. I don't mind. Whatever you have.
4. Where shall I sit? It's up to you. You can sit ---you like.
5. What sort of job are you looking for? ---. It doesn't matter.
6. What time shall I phone tomorrow? ---. I'll be in all day.
7. Who shall I invite to the party? I don't mind. --- you like.
8. Which newspaper shall I buy? ---. Whatever they have in the shop.

84.1

2 some 3 any

4 any ... some

5 some 6 any

7 any 8 some

9 any

10 any (some is also possible)

84.2

2 somebody/someone

3 anybody/anyone

4 anything

5 something

6 somebody/someone ...anybody/anyone

7 something ... anybody/anyone

8 Anybody/Anyone

9 anybody/anyone

10 anywhere

11 anywhere

12 somewhere

13 anywhere

14 anybody/anyone

15 something

16 Anybody/Anyone

17 She never tells anybody anything or ... anyone anything.

84.3

2 Any day

3 Anything

4 anywhere

5 Anything

6 Any time

7 Anybody/Anyone

8 Any newspaper/Any one