114 Unless As long as and provided/providing

Unless
Study this example situation:
The club is for members only.
You can't go in unless you are a member.
This means:
'You can't go In except if you are a member.' or 'You can go in only if you are a member.'
Unless ='except if'


Some more examples of unless:
* I'll see you tomorrow unless I have to work late. (= except if I have to work late)
* Don't tell Sue what I said unless she asks you. (= except if she asks you)
* 'Shall I tell Sue what you said?' 'Not unless she asks you.' (= only if she asks you)
* I don't like fish. I wouldn't eat it unless I was extremely hungry. (= except if I was extremely hungry)


We often use unless in warnings:
* We'll be late unless we hurry. (= except if we hurry)
* Unless you work much harder, you won't pass the exam.
* I was told I wouldn't pass the exam unless I worked harder.


Instead of unless it is often possible to say if ... not:
* Don't tell Sue what I said if she doesn't ask you.
* We'll be late if we don't hurry.


As long as etc.
as long as or so long as All these expressions mean 'if' or 'on condition that'.
provided (that) or providing (that) All these expressions mean 'if' or 'on condition that'.
For example:
* You can use my car as long as you drive carefully.
* You can use my car so long as you drive carefully.
(= you can use my car but you must drive carefully--this is a condition)


* Travelling by car is convenient provided (that) you have somewhere to park.
* Travelling by car is convenient providing (that) you have somewhere to park.
(= but only if you have somewhere to park)


* Providing (that) she studies hard, she'll pass her exams.
* Provided (that) she studies hard, she'll pass her exams.
(= she must study hard - if she does this, she will pass)


When you are talking about the future, do not use will after unless/as long as/provided providing. Use a present tense:
* We'll be late unless we hurry. (not 'unless we will hurry')
* Providing she studies hard, she will pass the exam. (not 'providing she will study')



EXERCISES
114.1 Write a new sentence with the same meaning. Use unless in your sentence.
1. You must work much harder or you won't pass the exam.
You won't pass, the exam unless you work much harder._
2. Listen carefully or you won't know what to do.
You won't know what to do ---.
3. She must apologize to me or I'll never speak to her again. I'll ---.
4. You have to speak very slowly or he won't be able to understand you.
5. The company must offer me more money or I'm going to look for another job.


114.2 Write a new sentence with the same meaning. Use unless in your sentence.
1. You are allowed into the club only if you're a member.
You aren't allowed into the club unless you're a member._
2. I'm going to the party only if you go too. I'm not going ---.
3. The dog will attack you only if you move suddenly.
4. He'll speak to you only if you ask him a question.
5. The doctor will see you today only if it's an emergency.


114.3 Choose the correct word or expression for each sentence.
1. You can use my car _unless/as long as_ you drive carefully. (as long as is correct)
2. I'm playing tennis tomorrow _unless/providing_ it's raining.
3. I'm playing tennis tomorrow _unless/providing_ it's not raining.
4. I don't mind if you come in late _unless/as long as_ you come in quietly.
5. I'm going now _unless/provided_ you want me to stay.
6. I don't watch television _unless/as long as_ I've got nothing else to do.
7. Children are allowed to use the swimming pool _unless/provided_ they are with an adult.
8. _Unless/provided_ they are with an adult, children are not allowed to use the swimming pool.
9. We can sit here in the corner _unless/as long as_ you'd rather sit over there by the window.
10. A: Our holiday cost a lot of money.
B: Did it? Well, that doesn't matter _unless/as long as_ you enjoyed yourselves.


114.4 Use your own ideas to complete these sentences.
1. We'll be late unless _we hurry._
2. I like hot weather unless ---.
3. I like hot weather provided ---.
4. Kate reads a newspaper every day as long as ---.
5. I don't mind walking home as long as ---.
6. I like to walk to work in the morning unless ---.
7. We can meet tomorrow unless ---.
8. You can borrow the money providing ---.
9. You won't achieve anything unless ---.

114.1

2 unless you listen carefully.

3 I'll never speak to her again unless she apologises to me.

4 He won't be able to understand you unless you speak very slowly.

5 I'm going to look for another job unless the company offer (or offers) me more money.

114.2

2 I'm not going to the party unless you go too. or ... unless you come too.

3 The dog won't attack you unless you move suddenly.

4 He won't speak to you unless you ask him a question.

5 The doctor won't see you today unless it's an emergency.

114.3

2 unless 3 providing

4 as long as 5 unless

6 unless 7 provided

8 Unless 9 unless

10 as long as

114.4 Example answers:

2 I have to work.

3 I don't have to work.

4 she has time.

5 it isn't raining.

6 I'm in a harry.

7 you have something else to do.

8 you pay it back as soon as possible.

9 you take risks.