116 Like and as

Like = 'similar to', 'the same as'. Note that you cannot use as in this way:
* What a beautiful house! It's like a palace. (not 'as a palace')
* 'What does Sandra do?' 'She's a teacher, like me.' (not 'as me')
* Be careful! The floor has been polished. It's like walking on ice. (not 'as walking')
* It's raining again. I hate weather like this. (not 'as this')


In these sentences, like is a preposition. So it is followed by a noun (like a palace), a pronoun (like me/like this) or ~ing (like walking).


You can also say 'like (somebody/something) doing something':
* 'What's that noise?' 'It sounds like a baby crying.'


Sometimes like = 'for example':
* Some sports, like motor racing, can be dangerous.


You can also use such as (= for example):
* Some sports, such as motor racing, can be dangerous.


We use as (not 'like') before a subject + verb:
* I didn't move anything. I left everything as I found it.
* They did as they promised. (= They did what they promised.)


Compare like and as in these sentences:
* You should have done it like this. (like + pronoun)
* You should have done it as I showed you. (as + subject + verb)


We also say as you know/as I said/as she expected/as I thought etc.:
* As you know, it's Tom's birthday next week. (= you know this already)
* Jane failed her driving test, as she expected. she expected this before)


Note that we say as usual/as always:
* You're late as usual.


As can also be a preposition but the meaning is different from like. Compare:
as
* Brenda Casey is the manager of a company. As the manager, she has to make many important decisions. ('As the manager' = in her position as the manager)
* During the war this hotel was used as a hospital. (so it really was a hospital) like
* Mary Stone is the assistant manager. Like the manager (Brenda Casey), she also has to make important decisions. ('Like the manager' = similar to the manager)
* Everyone is ill at home. Our house is like a hospital. (it isn't really a hospital)


As (preposition) = 'in the position of', 'in the form of' etc.:
* A few years ago I worked as a bus driver. (not 'like a bus driver')
* We've got a garage but we haven't got a car, so we use the garage as a workshop.
* Many English words (for example, 'work' and 'rain') can be used as verbs or nouns.
* London is all right as a place to visit, but I wouldn't like to live there.
* The news of her death came as a great shock.


We say regard ... as:
* I regard her as my best friend.



EXERCISES
116.1 (Sections A, B and Q Put in like or as.
1. It's raining again. I hate weather _like_ this.
2. Jane failed her driving test _as_ she expected.
3. Do you think Carol looks --- her mother?
4. He really gets on my nerves. I can't stand people --- him.
5. Why didn't you do it --- I told you to do it?
6. 'What does Bill do?' 'He's a student --- most of his friends.'
7. Why do you never listen? Talking to you is --- talking to the wall.
8. --- I said yesterday, I'm thinking of changing my job.
9. Tom's idea seemed a good one, so we did --- he suggested.
10. It's a difficult problem. I never know what to do in situations --- this.
11. I'll phone you tomorrow --- usual, OK?
12. This tea is awful. It tastes --- water.
13. Suddenly there was a terrible noise. It was --- a bomb exploding.
14. She's a very good swimmer. She swims --- a fish.
15. I'm afraid I can't meet you on Sunday --- we arranged.
16. We met Keith last night. He was very cheerful --- always.


116.2 (Sections A and D) Complete the sentences using like or as + one of the following:
a beginner blocks of ice a palace a birthday present a problem a child a church winter a tourist guide
1. This house is beautiful. It's _like a palace._
2. Margaret once had a part-time job ---.
3. My feet are really cold. They're ---.
4. I've been learning Spanish for a few years but I still speak ---.
5. 1 wonder what that building with the tower is. It looks ---.
6. My brother gave me this watch --- a long time ago.
7. It's true that we disagree about some things but I don't regard this ---.
8. It's very cold for the middle of summer. It's ---.
9. He's 22 years old but he sometimes behaves ---.


116.3 (All sections) Put in like or as.
1. Your English is very fluent. I wish I could speak --- you.
2. Don't take my advice if you don't want to. You can do --- you like.
3. You waste too much time doing things --- sitting in cafes all day.
4. 1 wish I had a car --- yours.
5. There's no need to change your clothes. You can go out --- you are.
6. My neighbour's house is full of interesting things. It's --- a museum.
7. 1 think I preferred this room --- it was, before we decorated it.
8. When we asked Sue to help us, she agreed immediately --- I knew she would.
9. Sharon has been working --- a waitress for the last two months.
10. While we were on holiday, we, spent most of our time doing energetic things --- sailing, water skiing and swimming.
11. You're different from the other people I know. I don't know anyone --- you.
12. We don't need all the bedrooms in the house, so we use one of them --- a study.
13. --- her father, Catherine has a very good voice.
14. The news that Sue and Jim were getting married came --- a complete surprise to me.
15. At the moment I've got a temporary job in a bookshop. It's OK --- a temporary job but I wouldn't like to do it permanently.

116.1

3 like 4 like 5 as 6 like

7 like 8 As 9 as 10 like

11 as 12 like 13 like

14 like 15 like 16 as 17 as

116.2

2 as a tourist guide

3 like blocks of ice

4 like a beginner

5 like a church

6 as a birthday present

7 as a problem

8 like winter

9 like a child

116.3

1 like 2 as 3 like

4 like 5 as 6 like

7 as 8 as 9 as

10 like 11 like 12 as

13 Like 14 as 15 as