22 Will/shall (2)

We do not use will to say what somebody has already arranged or decided to do in the future:
* Ann is working next week. (not 'Ann will work')
* Are you going to watch television this evening? (not 'will you watch')
For 'I'm working ...' and 'Are you going to ...?
But often, when we talk about the future, we are not talking about what somebody has decided to do.

For example:
CHRIS: Do you think Ann will pass the exam?
JOE: Yes, she'll pass easily.


'She'll pass' does not mean 'she has decided to pass'. Joe is saying what he knows or thinks will happen. He is predicting the future. When we predict a future happening or situation, we use will/won't.
* Jill has been away a long time. When she returns, she'll find a lot of changes.
* 'Where will you be this time next year)' 'I'll be in Japan.'
* That plate is very hot. If you touch it, you'll burn yourself.
* Tom won't pass the examination. He hasn't worked hard enough for it.
* When will you know your exam results?


We often use will ('ll) with:
probably: I'll probably be home late this evening.
I expect: I haven't seen Carol today. I expect she'll phone this evening.
(I'm) sure: Don't worry about the exam. I'm sure you'll pass.
(I) think: Do you think Sarah will like the present we bought her?
(I) don't think: I don't think the exam will be very difficult.
I wonder: I wonder what will happen.


After (I) hope, we generally use the present:
* I hope Carol phones this evening.
* I hope it doesn't rain tomorrow.


Generally we use will to talk about the future, but sometimes we use will to talk about now. For example:
* Don't phone Ann now. She'll be busy. (= I know she'll be busy now)
I shall .../we shall ...
Normally we use shall only with I and we.


You can say I shall or I will (I'll), we shall or we will (we'll):
* I shall be tired this evening. (or I will be ...)
* We shall probably go to Scotland for our holiday. (or We will probably go ...)


In spoken English we normally use I'll and we'll:
* We'll probably go to Scotland.
The negative of shall is shall not or shan't:
* I shan't be here tomorrow. (or I won't be ...)
Do not use shall with he/she/it/you/they:
* She will be very angry. (not 'she shall be')


EXERCISES


22.1 Which form of the verb is correct (or more natural) in these sentences? The verbs are underlined.
1. Ann isn't free on Saturday. _She'll work (X)/She's working (O)._ (She's working is correct)
2. _I'll go/I'm going_ to a party tomorrow night. Would you like to come too?
3. I think Jane _will get/is getting_ the job. She has a lot of experience.
4. I can't meet you this evening. A friend of mine _will come/is coming_ to see me.
5. A: Have you decided where to go for your holidays?
B: Yes, _we will go/we are going_ to Italy.
6. There's no need to be afraid of the dog. _It won't hurt/It isn't hurting_ you.


22.2 Complete the sentences with will ('ll) + one of these verbs:
be be come get like look meet pass
1. Don't worry about your exam. I'm sure you I'll pass.
2. Why don't you try on this jacket? It --- nice on you.
3. You must meet George sometime. I think you --- him.
4. It's raining. Don't go out. You --- wet.
5. They've invited me to their house. They --- offended if I don't go.
6. Goodbye. I expect we --- again before long.
7. I've invited Sue to the party but I don't think she ---.
8. I wonder where I --- 20 years from now.


22.3 Put in will ('ll) or won't.
1. Can you wait for me? I won't be very long.
2. There's no need to take an umbrella with you. It --- rain.
3. If you don't eat anything now, you --- be hungry later.
4. I'm sorry about what happened yesterday. It --- happen again.
5. I've got some incredible news! You --- never believe what's happened.
6. Don't ask Margaret for advice. She --- know what to do.


22.4 Where will you be at these times? Write true sentences about yourself. Use one of these:
I'll be ... or I expect I'll be... or I'll probably be ... or I don't know where I'll be. or I'm not sure. I might be ...
1. (next Monday evening at 7.45) I'll probably be at home. or I'm not sure. I might be at the cinema. or I don't know where I'll be. (etc.)
2. (at 5 o'clock tomorrow morning) ---
3. (at 10.30 tomorrow morning) ---
4. (next Saturday afternoon at 4.15) ---
5. (this time next year) ---


22.5 Write questions using do you think ... will ...? + one of these verbs:
be back cost finish get married happen like rain
1. I've bought Mary a present. Do you think she'll like it?
2. The weather doesn't look very good. Do you ---
3. The meeting is still going on. When do you ---
4. My car needs to be repaired. How much ---
5. Sally and David are in love. Do ---
6. 'I'm going out now.' 'OK. What time ---'
7. The future situation is uncertain. What ---

22.1

2 I'm going

3 will get

4 is coming

5 we are going

6 It won't hurt

22.2

2 will look

3 will like/'ll like

4 will get/'ll get

5 will be/'ll be

6 will meet/'ll meet

7 will come/'ll come

8 will be/'ll be

22.3

2 won't

3 will/'ll

4 won't

5 will/'ll

6 won't

22.4

Example answers:

2 I'll be in bed.

3 I'll beat work.

4 I expect I'll be at home.

5 I don't know where I'll be this time next year.

22.5

2 Do you think it will rain?

3 When do you think it will finish?

4 How much do you think it will cost?

5 Do you think they'll get married? ... they will get married?

6 What time do you think you'll be back?/... you will be back?

7 What do you think will happen?