23 I will and I'm going to

Future actions. Study the difference between will and going to:
Sue is talking to Helen:
SUE: Let's have a party
HELLEN: That's a great idea. We'll invite lots of people.
will ('ll): We use will when we decide to do something at the time of speaking. The speaker has not decided before. The party is a new idea. Later that day, Helen meets Dave:
HELLEN: Sue and I have decided to have a party. We're going to invite lots of people.
going to: We use (be) going to when we have already decided to do something. Helen had already decided to invite lots of people before she spoke to Dave.
Compare:
* 'George phoned while you were out.' 'OK. I'll phone him back.' but
* 'George phoned while you were out.' 'Yes, I know. I'm going to phone him back.'
* 'Ann is in hospital.' 'Oh really? I didn't know. I'll go and visit her.' but
* 'Ann is in hospital.' 'Yes, I know. I'm going to visit her tomorrow.'
Future happenings and situations (predicting the future)
Sometimes there is not much difference between will and going to. For example, you can say:
* I think the weather will be nice later.
* I think the weather is going to be nice later.


When we say 'something is going to happen', we know (or think) this because of the situation now. For example:
* Look at those black clouds. It's going to rain. (not 'it will rain' - we can see the clouds now)
* I feel terrible. I think I'm going to be sick. (not 'I think I'll be sick' - I feel terrible now)
Do not use will in situations like these.


In other situations, it is safer to use will:
* Tom will probably arrive at about 8 o'clock.
* I think Ann will like the present we bought for her.



EXERCISES


23.1 Complete the sentences using will ('ll) or going to.
1. A: Why are you turning on the television?
B: I'm going to watch the news. (I/watch)
2. A: Oh, I've just realised. I haven't got any money.
B: Haven't you? Well, don't worry. --- you some. (I/lend)
3. A: I've got a headache.
B: Have you? Wait there and --- an aspirin for you. (I/get)
4. A: Why are you filling that bucket with water?
B: --- the car. (I/wash)
5. A: I've decided to repaint this room.
B: Oh, have you? What colour --- it? (you/paint)
6. A: Where are you going? Are you going shopping?
B: Yes, --- something for dinner. (I/buy)
7. A: I don't know how to use this camera.
B: It's quite easy. --- you. (I/show)
8. A: What would you like to eat?
B: --- a sandwich, please. (I/have)
9. A: Did you post that letter for me?
B: Oh, I'm sorry. I completely forgot --- it now. (I/do)
10. A: The ceiling in this room doesn't took very safe, does it?
B: No, it looks as if --- down. (it/fall)
11. A: Has George decided what to do when he leaves school?
B: Oh, yes. Everything is planned. --- a holiday for a few weeks and then --- a computer programming course. (he/have, he/do)


23.2 Read the situations and complete the sentences using will ('ll) or going to.
1. The phone rings and you answer. Somebody wants to speak to Jim.
CALLER: Hello. Can I speak to Jim, please?
YOU: Just a moment. --- him. (I/get)


2. It's a nice day. You've decided to sit in the garden. Before going outside, you tell your friend.
YOU: The weather's too nice to stay indoors. --- in the garden. (I/sit)
FRIEND: That's a good idea. I think --- you. (I/join)


3. Your friend is worried because she has lost an important letter.
YOU: Don't worry about the letter. I'm sure --- it. (you/find)
FRIEND: I hope so.


4. There was a job advertised in the paper recently. At first you were interested but then you decided not to apply.
FRIEND: Have you decided what to do about that job that was advertised?
YOU: Yes, --- for it. (I/not/apply)


5. You and a friend come home very late. Other people in the house are asleep. Your friend is noisy.
You: Shhh! Don't make so much noise. --- everybody up. (you/wake)


6. John has to go to the airport to catch a plane tomorrow morning.
JOHN: Ann, I need somebody to take me to the airport tomorrow morning.
ANN: That's no problem. --- you. (I/take) What time is your flight?
JOHN: 10.50.
ANN: OK. --- at about 9 o'clock then. (we/leave)

Later that day, Joe offers to take John to the airport.
JOE: John, do you want me to take you to the airport?
JOHN: No thanks, Joe. --- me. (Ann/take)

23.1

2 I'll lend

3 I'll get

4 I'm going to wash

5 are you going to paint

6 I'm going to buy

7 I'll show

8 I'll have

9 I'll do

10 it is going to fall

11 He's going to have ... he's going to do

23.2

1 I'll get

2 I'm going to sit ... I'll join

3 you'll find

4 I'm not going to apply

5 You'll wake (You're going to wake is also possible)

6 I'll take ... We'll leave ... Ann is going to take