39 If I had known ... I wish I had known ...

Study this example situation:
Last month Gary was in hospital for an operation. Liz didn't know this, so she didn't go to visit him. They met a few days ago. Liz said:
If I had known you were in hospital, I would have gone to visit you.
Liz said: If I had known you were in hospital... . The real situation was that she didn't know he was in hospital.


When you are talking about the past, you use if + had ('d) ... (if I had known/been/done etc.):
* I didn't see you when you passed me in the street. If I'd seen you, of course I would have said hello. (but I didn't see you)
* I decided to stay at home last night. I would have gone out if I hadn't been so tired. (but I was tired)
* If he had been looking where he was going, he wouldn't have walked into the wall. (but he wasn't looking)
* The view was wonderful. If I'd had a camera, I would have taken some photographs. (but I didn't have a camera).


Compare:
* I'm not hungry. If I was hungry, I would eat something. (now)
* I wasn't hungry. If I had been hungry, I would have eaten something. (past)


Do not use would in the if-part of the sentence. We use would in the other part of the sentence:
* If I had seen you, I would have said hello. (not 'If I would have seen you')
Note that 'd can be would or had:
* If I'd seen you, (I'd seen = I had seen)
I'd have said hello. (I'd have said = I would have said)


We use had (done) in the same way after wish. I wish something had happened = I am sorry that it didn't happen:
* I wish I'd known that Gary was ill. I would have gone to see him. (but I didn't know)
* I feel sick. I wish I hadn't eaten so much cake. (I ate too much cake)
* Do you wish you had studied science instead of languages? (you didn't study science)
* The weather was cold while we were away. I wish it had been warmer.
Do not use would have... after wish in these sentences:
* I wish it had been warmer. (not 'I wish it would have been')


Compare would (do) and would have (done):
* If I had gone to the party last night, I would be tired now. (I am not tired now--present)
If I had gone to the party last night, I would have met lots of people. (I didn't meet lots of people--past)


Compare would have, could have and might have:
* If the weather hadn't been so bad, we would have gone out.
* If the weather hadn't been so bad, we could have gone out. (= we would have been able to go out)
* If the weather hadn't been so bad, we might have gone out. (=perhaps we would have gone out)



EXERCISES
39.1 Put the verb into the correct form.
1. I didn't know you were in hospital. If I'd known (I/know), I would have gone (I/go) to visit you.
2. Ken got to the station in time to catch his train. If, --- (he/miss) it --- (he/be) late for his interview.
3. It's good that you reminded me about Ann's birthday. --- (I/forget) if --- (you/not/remind) me.
4. Unfortunately, I didn't have my address book with me when I was in New York. If --- (I/have) your address, ---
(I/send) you a postcard.


5. A: How was your holiday? Did you have a nice time?
B: It was OK, but --- (we/enjoy) it more if --- (the weather/be) better.
6. I took a taxi to the hotel but the traffic was very bad. --- (it/be) quicker if --- (I/walk).
7. I'm not tired. If --- (I/be) tired, I'd go home now.
8. I wasn't tired last night. If --- (I/be) tired, I would have gone home earlier.


39.2 Write a sentence with if for each situation.
1. I wasn't hungry, so I didn't eat anything.
_If I'd been hungry, I would have eaten something._
2. The accident happened because the driver in front stopped so suddenly.
If the driver in front ---
3. I didn't know that George had to get up early, so I didn't wake him up.
if I ---
4. I was able to buy the car only because Jim tent me the money.
5. Margaret wasn't injured in the crash because she was wearing a seat belt.
6. You didn't have any breakfast - that's why you're hungry now.
7. I didn't get a taxi because I didn't have any money on me.
39.3 Imagine that you are in these situations. For each situation, write a sentence with I wish ...
1. You've eaten too much and now you feel sick.
You say: _I wish I hadn't eaten so much._
2. There was a job advertised in the newspaper. You decided not to apply for it. Now you think that your decision was wrong.
You say: I wish I ---
3. When you were younger, you didn't learn to play a musical instrument. Now you regret this.
You say: ---
4. You've painted the gate red. Now you think that it doesn't look very nice.
You say: ---
5. You are walking in the country. You would like to take some photographs but you didn't bring your camera.
You say: ---
6. You have some unexpected guests. They didn't tell you they were coming. You are very busy and you are not prepared for them.
You say (to yourself): ---

39.1

2 he'd missed/he had missed ... he would have been/he'd have been

3 I would have forgotten/I'd have forgotten ... you hadn't reminded

4 I'd had/I had had ... I'd have sent/I would have sent

5 we'd have enjoyed/we would have enjoyed ... the weather had been

6 It would have been ... I'd walked / I had walked

7 I was/I were

8 I'd been tired/I had been tired

39.2

2 If the driver in front hadn't stopped so suddenly, the accident wouldn't have happened.

3 If I'd/I had known that George had to get up early, I'd/I would have woken him up.

4 If Jim hadn't lent me the money, I wouldn't have been able to buy the car. or ... I couldn't have bought the car.

5 If Margaret hadn't been wearing a seat belt, she'd/she would have been injured.

6 If you'd/you had had (some) breakfast, you wouldn't be hungry now.

7 If I'd/I had had some money on me, I'd/I would have got a taxi.

39.3

2 I wish I'd/I had applied for it. or ... for the job.

3 I wish I'd/I had learned to play a musical instrument.

4 I wish I hadn't painted it red./... painted the gate red.

5 I wish I'd/I had brought my camera.

6 I wish they'd/they had told me they were coming. or I wish I'd/I had known they were coming.