40 Would I wish ... would

We use would ('d) when we imagine a situation or action:
* It would be nice to have a holiday but we can't afford it.
* I'm not going to bed yet. I'm not tired and I wouldn't sleep.


We use would have (done) when we imagine situations or actions in the past:
* They helped me a lot. I don't know what I would have done without their help.
* I didn't go to bed. I wasn't tired, so I wouldn't have slept.


Compare will ('11) and would ('d):
* I'll stay a bit longer. I've got plenty of time.
* I'd stay a bit longer but I really have to go now. (so I can't stay longer)
Sometimes would/wouldn't is the past of will/won't. Compare: present -> past
Tom: I'll phone you on Sunday. -> Tom said he'd phone me on Sunday.
ANN: I promise I won't be late. -> Ann promised that she wouldn't be late.
Liz: Damn! The car won't start. -> Liz was angry because the car wouldn't start.


I wish ... would...
Study this example situation:
It is raining. Jill wants to go out, but not in the rain. She says:
I wish it would stop raining. This means that Jill is complaining about the rain and wants it to stop. We use I wish ... would... when we want something to happen or when we want somebody to do something. The speaker is not happy with the present situation.
* The phone has been ringing for five minutes. I wish somebody would answer it.
* I wish you would do something instead of just sitting and doing nothing.


You can use I wish ... wouldn't ... to complain about things people do repeatedly:
* I wish you wouldn't keep interrupting me.


We use I wish ... would ... for actions and changes, not situations. Compare:
* I wish Sarah would come. (= I want her to come)
but * I wish Sarah were (or was) here now. (not 'I wish Sarah would be...')
* I wish somebody would buy me a car.but * I wish I had a car. (not 'I wish I would have...')


You can also use would when you talk about things that happened regularly in the past:
* When we were children, we lived by the sea. In summer, if the weather was fine, we would all get up early and go for a swim. (= we did this regularly)
* Whenever Arthur was angry, he would walk out of the room.


With this meaning, would is similar to used to:
* Whenever Arthur was angry, he used to walk out of the room.



EXERCISES
40.1 Complete the sentences using would + one of the following verbs in the correct form:
be do enjoy enjoy phone stop
1. They helped me a lot. I don't know what I would have done without their help.
2. You should go and see the film. You --- it.
3. It's a pity you couldn't come to the party last night. You --- it.
4. I --- you last night but I didn't have your number.
5. Why don't you go and see Clare? She --- very pleased to see you.
6. I was in a hurry when I saw you. Otherwise I --- to talk.


40.2 Write sentences using promised.
1. I wonder why she's late. She promised she wouldn't be late.
2. I wonder why Tom hasn't written to me. He promised ---
3. I'm surprised they didn't wait for us. They ---
4. Why did you tell Jill what I said? You ---


40.3 What do you say in these situations? Write sentences with I wish ... would ...
1. It's raining. You want to go out, but not in the rain.
You say: I wish it would stop raining.
2. You're waiting for John. He's late and you're getting impatient.
You say (to yourself): I wish ---
3. You can hear a baby crying and you're trying to study.
You say: ---
4. You're looking for a job - so far without success. Nobody will give you a job.
You say: I wish somebody ---
5. Brian has been wearing the same clothes for years. You think he needs some new clothes.
You say (to Brian): ---


For the following situations, write sentences with I wish ... wouldn't ....
6. Your friend drives very fast. You don't like this.
You say (to your friend): I wish you ---
7. Jack always leaves the door open. This annoys you.
You say (to Jack): ---
8. A lot of people drop litter in the street. You don't like this.
You say: I wish people ---


40.4 Are these sentences right or wrong? Correct the ones that are wrong.
1. I wish Sarah would be here now.
2. I wish you would listen to me.
3. I wish I would have more money.
4. I wish it wouldn't be so cold today.
5. I wish the weather would change.
6. I wish you wouldn't complain all the time.
7. I wish everything wouldn't be so expensive.


40.5 These sentences are about things that often happened in the past. Complete the sentences using would + one of these verbs: forget shake share walk
1. Whenever Arthur was angry, he would walk out of the room.
2. I used to live next to a railway line. Whenever a train went past, the house ---
3. You could never rely on George. It didn't matter how many times you reminded him to do something, he --- always ---
4. Brenda was always very generous. She didn't have much but she --- what she had with everyone else.

40.1

2 would enjoy 'd enjoy

3 would have enjoyed/'d have enjoyed

4 would have phoned/'d have phoned

5 would be/'d be

6 would have stopped 'd have stopped

40.2

2 He promised he would write to me.

3 They promised they would wait for us.

4 You promised you wouldn't tell Jill what I said.

40.3

2 I wish John would come. I wish he would come.

3 I wish the baby would stop crying

4 I wish somebody would give me a job.

5 I wish you would buy some new clothes. or ... get some new clothes.

6 I wish you wouldn't drive so fast.

7 I wish you wouldn't (always) leave the door open.

8 I wish people wouldn't drop litter in the street.

40.4

2 right

3 wrong--I wish I had more money

4 wrong--I wish it wasn't/weren't so cold today.

5 right

6 right

7 wrong--I wish everything wasn't/weren't so expensive.

40.5

2 would shake

3 would always forget

4 would share