64 Adjective + to ...

Difficult to understand etc.
Compare sentences a and b:
* Jim doesn't speak very clearly. It is difficult to understand him. (a)
* Jim doesn't speak very clearly. He is difficult to understand. (b)


Sentences a and b have the same meaning. But note that we say:
* He is difficult to understand. (not 'He is difficult to understand him.')


You can use the structures in the box with:
difficult easy hard impossible dangerous safe expensive cheap and a number of other adjectives (for example, nice/interesting/exciting):
* Do you think it is safe to drink this water?
Do you think this water is safe to drink? (not 'to drink it')
* Your writing is awful. It is impossible to read it. (= to read your writing)
Your writing is impossible to read. (not 'to read it')
* I like being with Jill. It's very interesting to talk to her.
Jill is very interesting to talk to. (not 'to talk to her')


You can also use this structure with an adjective + noun:
* This is a difficult question (for me) to answer. (not 'to answer it')
(It's) nice (of you) to...


You can use this structure to say what you think of what somebody does:
* It was nice of you to take me to the station. Thank you very much.
You can use many other adjectives in this way.:


kind clever sensible mean silly stupid careless unfair considerate:
* It's silly of Mary to give up her job when she needs the money.
* I think it was very unfair of him to criticise me.


(I'm) sorry to ...
You can use this structure to say how somebody reacts to something:
* I was sorry to hear that your father is ill.


You can use many other adjectives in this way. For example:
happy glad pleased delighted sad disappointed surprised amazed astonished relieved:
* Was Tom surprised to see you when you went to see him?
* We were delighted to get your letter last week.


The first (person) to know, the next train to arrive
We use to ... after the first/second/third etc. and also after the next, the last, the only:
* If I have any more news, you will be the first (person) to know.
* The next train to arrive at platform 4 will be the 6.50 to Cardiff.
* Everybody was late except me. I was the only one to arrive on time.


You can say that something is sure/certain/bound/likely to happen:
* She's very intelligent. She's sure/certain/bound to pass the exam.
* I'm likely to be late home this evening. (= I will probably be late home)



EXERCISES
64.1 (Section A) Write these sentences in another way, beginning as shown.
1. It's difficult to understand him.
He _is difficult to understand._
2. It's quite easy to use this machine.
This machine is ---
3. It was very difficult to open the window.
The window ---
4. It's impossible to translate some words.
Some words ---
5. It's not safe to stand on that chair.
That chair ---
6. It's expensive to maintain a car.
A ---


64.2 (Section A) Complete the second sentence using the adjective in brackets. Use a/an +adjective + noun + to ... (as in the example).
1. I couldn't answer the question. (difficult) It was _a difficult question to answer._
2. Everybody makes that mistake. (easy)
It's an ---
3. I like living in this place. (nice)
It's a ---
4. We enjoyed watching the game. (good)
It was ---


64.3 (Section B) Make a new sentence beginning It ... Use one of these adjectives each time:
careless considerate kind nice
1. You did my shopping for me.
It was kind of you to do my shopping for me._
2. You make the same mistake again and again.
It ---
3. Don and jenny invited me to stay with them.
---
4. John made so much noise when I was trying to sleep.
It wasn't very ---


64.4 (Section C) Use the following words to complete these sentences:
sorry/hear glad/hear delighted/get surprised/see
1. We _were delighted to get_ your letter last week.
2.Thank you for your letter. I --- that you're keeping well.
3. We --- Pauline at the party. We didn't expect her to come.
4. I --- that your mother isn't well. I hope she gets well soon.


64.5 (Section D) Complete the second sentence using the words in brackets + to ...
1. Nobody left before me. (the first)
I was _the first person to leave._
2. Everybody else arrived before Paul. (the last)
Paul was the ---
3. Fiona passed the exam. All the other students failed. (the only)
Fiona was ---
4. I complained to the restaurant manager about the service. Another customer had already complained before me. (the second)
I was ---
5. Nell Armstrong walked on the moon in 1969. Nobody had done this before him. (the first)
Neil Armstrong was ---


64.6 (Section E) Complete these sentences using the word in brackets and a suitable verb.
1. Diane is very intelligent. She _is bound to pass_ the exam. (bound)
2. I'm not surprised you're tired. After such a long journey you --- tired. (bound)
3. Tom's got a very bad memory. He --- what you told him. (sure)
4. I don't think you need to take an umbrella. It --- (not likely)
5. The holidays begin this weekend. There --- a lot of traffic on the roads. (likely)

64.1

2 This machine is quite easy to use.

3 The window was very difficult to open.

4 Some words are impossible to translate.

5 That chair isn't safe to stand on.

6 A car is expensive to maintain.

64.2

2 It's an easy mistake to make.

3 It's a nice place to live (in).

4 It was a good game to watch.

64.3

2 It's careless of you to make the same mistake again and again.

3 It was nice of Don and jenny to invite me to stay with them.

4 It wasn't very considerate o John to make so much noise (when I was trying to sleep).

64.4

2 am/was glad to hear

3 were surprised to see

4 am/was sorry to hear

64.5

2 Paul was the last (person) to arrive.

3 Fiona was the only student/the only one to pass the exam.

4 I was the second customer/ person to complain (to the restaurant manager about the service)

5 Neil Armstrong was the first person/man to walk on the moon.

64.6

2 are bound to be

3 is sure to forget

4 is not/isn't likely to rain

5 is likely to be