65 To ... (afraid to do) and preposition + ~ing (afraid of ~ing)

Afraid to (do) and afraid of (do)ing
I am afraid to do something = I don't want to do it because it is dangerous or the result could be bad.

We use afraid to do for things we do intentionally:
* A lot of people are afraid to go out at night. (= they don't want to go out because it is dangerous--so they don't go out)
* He was afraid to tell his parents about the broken window. (= he didn't want to tell them because he knew they would be angry)
I am afraid of something happening = it is possible that something bad will happen (for example, an accident).


We do not use afraid of ~ing for things we do intentionally:
* The path was icy, so we walked very carefully. We were afraid of falling. (= it was possible that we would fall-- not 'we were afraid to fall')
* I don't like dogs. I'm always afraid of being bitten. (not 'afraid to be bitten')
So, you are afraid to do something because you are afraid of something happening as a result:
* I was afraid to go near the dog because I was afraid of being bitten.


Interested in (do)ing and interested to (do)
I'm interested in doing something = I'm thinking of doing it, I'd like to do it:
* I'm trying to sell my car but nobody is interested in buying it. (not 'to buy')


We use interested to especially with hear/see/know/read/learn. I was interested to hear it = 'I heard it and it was interesting for me':
* I was interested to hear that Diane has got a new job.
* Ask George for his opinion. I would be interested to know what he thinks. (=it would be interesting for me to know)


This structure is the same as surprised to/delighted to... etc.:
* I was surprised to hear that Diane has got a new job.


Sorry to (do) and sorry for (do)ing
We usually say sorry to... to apologize when (or just before) we do something:
* I'm sorry to bother you, but I need to talk to you.


We use sorry to (hear/read etc.) to show sympathy with somebody:
* I was sorry to hear that Fiona lost her job. (= I was sorry when I heard ...)


You can use sorry for (doing something) to apologize for something you did before:
* (I'm) sorry for shouting at you yesterday. (not 'Sorry to shout ...')


You can also say:
* (I'm) sorry I shouted at you yesterday.


Note that we say:
I want to (do)/I'd like to (do) but I'm thinking of (do)ing/I dream of (do)ing
I failed to (do) but I succeeded in (do)ing
I allowed them to (do) but I prevented them from (do)ing

EXERCISES
65.1 Read the situation and use the words in brackets to write a sentence with afraid.
1. The streets are unsafe at night.
(a lot of people/afraid/go/out) _A lot of people are afraid to go out._
2. We walked very carefully along the icy path.
(we/afraid/fall) _We were afraid of falling._
3. I don't usually carry my passport with me.
(I/afraid/lose/it)
4. The sea was very rough.
(we/afraid/go/swimming)
5. We rushed to the station.
(we/afraid/miss/our train)
6. In the middle of the film there was a particularly horrifying scene.
(we/afraid/look)
7. The glasses were very full, so Jane carried them very carefully.
(she/afraid/spill/the drinks)
8. I didn't like the look of the food on my plate.
a (I/afraid/eat/it)
b (I/afraid/make/myself ill)


65.2 Complete the sentences using one of these verbs:
buy get go hear read start
1. I'm trying to sell my car but nobody is interested _in buying_ it.
2. Julia is interested --- her own business.
3. I was interested --- your letter in the newspaper last week.
4. Bill wants to stay single. He's not interested --- married.
5. You must tell me what you think. I'm always interested --- your opinion.
6. There's a party tonight but I'm not interested ---


65.3 Complete the sentences using the verb in brackets.
1. I'm sorry _for shouting_ at you yesterday. (shout)
2. Sorry --- you but have you got a pen I could borrow? (disturb)
3. Sorry --- late last night. I didn't realize the time. (be)
4. I'm sorry --- what I said yesterday. I didn't really mean it. (say)
5. 'I've just had my exam results. I failed.' 'Oh? I'm sorry --- that.' (hear)


65.4 Complete the sentences using the verb in brackets.
1. a. We wanted _to leave_ the building. (leave)
b. We weren't allowed --- the building. (leave)
c. We were prevented --- the building. (leave)


2. a. Fred failed --- the problem. (solve)
b. Amy succeeded --- the problem. (solve)


3. a. I'm thinking --- away next week. (go)
b. I'm hoping --- away next week. (go)
c. I'm looking forward --- away next week. (go)
d. I'd like --- away next week. (go)


4. a. Mary wanted --- me a drink. (buy)
b. Mary promised --- me a drink. (buy)
c. Mary insisted --- me a drink. (buy)
d. Mary wouldn't dream --- me a drink. (buy)

65.1

3 I'm afraid of losing it.

4 We were afraid to go swimming.

5 We were afraid of missing our train.

6 We were afraid to look.

7 She was afraid of spilling the drinks.

8 a. I was afraid to eat it.

b. I was afraid of making myself ill.

65.2

2 in starting

3 to read

4 in getting

5 to hear/in hearing

6 in going

65.3

2 to disturb

3 for being late or I was late

4 for saying or I said

5 to hear

65.4

1 b. to leave

c. from leaving

2 a. to solve

b. in solving

3 a. of going

b. to go

c. to going

d. to go

4 a. to buy

b. to buy

c. on buying

d. of buying