66 See somebody do and see somebody doing

Study this example situation:
Tom got into his car and drove away. You saw this. You can say:
* I saw Tom get into his car and drive away.


In this structure we use get/drive/do etc. (infinitive without 'to'):
Somebody did something + I saw this = I saw somebody do something.


Note that we use the infinitive without to:
* We saw them go out. (not 'to go')


But after a passive ('they were seen') etc., we use to:
* They were seen to go out.


Study this example situation:
Yesterday you saw Ann. She was waiting for a bus. You can say:
* I saw Ann waiting for a bus.


In this structure we use ~ing (waiting):
Somebody was doing something + I saw this = I saw somebody doing something.


Study the difference in meaning between the two structures:
'I saw him do something' = he did something (past simple) and I saw this. I saw the complete action from beginning to end:
* He fell off the wall. I saw this. -> I saw him fall off the wall.
* The accident happened. Did you see this? -> Did you see the accident happen?
'I saw him doing something' = he was doing something (past continuous) and I saw this. I saw him when he was in the middle of doing it. This does not mean that I saw the complete action:
* He was walking along the street. + I saw this when I drove past in my car. = I saw him walking along the street.


Sometimes the difference is not important and you can use either form:
* I've never seen her dance. or I've never seen her dancing.


We use these structures with see and hear, and a number of other verbs:
* I didn't hear you come in.
* Liz suddenly felt something touch her on the shoulder.
* Did you notice anyone go out?
* I could hear it raining.
* The missing boys were last seen playing near the river.
* Listen to the birds singing!
* Can you smell something burning?
* I found Sue in my room reading my letters.



EXERCISES
66.1 Complete the answers to the questions.
1. Did anybody go out?
I don't know. I didn't see _anybody go out._
2. Has Jill arrived yet?
Yes, I think I heard her ---
3. How do you know I took the money?
I know because I saw you ---
4. Did the doorbell ring?
I'm not sure. I didn't hear ---
5. Can Tom play the piano?
I've never heard ---
6. Did I lock the door when I went out?
Yes, you did. I saw ---
7. How did the woman fall in the river?
I don't know. I didn't see ---


66.2 In each of these situations you and a friend saw, heard or smelt something. Look at the pictures and complete the sentences.
1. Look! There's Ann.
2. Look! There's Dave and Helen.
3. Look! There's Clare.
4. Listen That's Bill.
5. Can you smell burning? Yes! It's the dinner.
6. Look! There's Linda.


1. We saw Ann waiting for a bus.
2. We saw Dave and Helen ---
3. We saw --- in a restaurant.
4. We heard ---
5. We could ---
6. ---


66.3 Complete these sentences. Use one of these verbs (in the correct form):
climb come crawl cry cycle explode happen open run say slam sleep tell
1 Listen to the birds _singing._
2. I didn't hear you _come_ in.
3. Did anybody see the accident ---?
4. We listened to the old man --- his story from beginning to end.
5. Listen! Can you hear a baby ---?
6. I looked out of the window and saw Tim on his bike ---. along the road.
7. 'Why did you turn round suddenly?' 'I thought I heard somebody --- my name.'
8. We watched the two men --- across the garden --- a window and --- through it into the house.
9. Everybody heard the bomb ---. It was a tremendous noise.
10. Oh! I can feel something --- up my leg! It must be an insect.
11. I heard somebody --- the door in the middle of the night. It woke me up.
12. When we got home, we found a cat --- on the kitchen table.

66.1

2 arrive

3 take it/do it

4 it ring

5 him play/him playing

6 you lock it/you do it

7 her fall

66.2

2 We saw Dave and Helen playing tennis.

3 We saw Clare having a meal in a restaurant./We saw Clare eating in a restaurant.

4 We heard Bill playing the guitar.

5 We could smell the dinner burning.

6 We saw Linda jogging.

66.3

3 happen

4 tell

5 crying

6 cycling

7 say

8 run ... open

9 explode

10 crawling

11 slam

12 sleeping climb